Monday, September 13, 2010

AJ Thouvenot Project Runway Season 8 Exclusive Fevi Blog's Interview.

Aj's Line Trashbiscuit
Aj Thouvenot


FB. Tell me a little about yourself. Where are you from? What's your educational background? What are your general professional and non-professional interests



AJ.I am 26 years old and from Saint Charles Missouri. I have a BFA in Fashion Design from Lindenwood University. I also did internship work under New York fashion label “Heatherette” during the summer of 2007.




My professional interests are mostly design and art related. In addition to fashion design, I also do my own graphic art and interior design. My non-professional interests are all about having fun and enjoying life, friends, family, and good food. Who is the women you design for?




I typically design for younger clients, under 25 years old. More girls than women. I would describe her as fun, quirky, and a little bit on the insane side. What are some of your accomplishments as a designer?


Interning at Heatherette was an amazing experience. Have shown at fashion events across the country, as well as competed in St. Louis, “project design” a showcase for emerging designers 2 years in a row. Who are some of your favorite designers?


My favorite designer of all time is John Galliano. I also love flamboyant and experimental labels like Jeremy Scott, and NYC fashion designers “The Blonds” Where can readers buy your clothes?


http://www.trashbiscuit.com/

FB.  How long have you worked as a designer?


AJ.  I’ve been designing four years now.




FB. Have you worked for other design firms?


Heatherette What are some of your favorite clothing stores/catalogs/websites?


I love shopping vintage and second hand stores. Topshop London is one of my favorite places for fashionable pieces at a great price. Do you consider yourself an artist?


I consider my designs to be more art than fashion. Oftentimes conceptual runway pieces are my favorites.






FB. What's your favorite part about conceptualizing a design?


My favorite part is imagining my muse wearing the design, asking those questions, “who is this person?” and “Where is she going”, that’s my favorite part because it is all about dreaming and using your imagination.


FB.What matters to you most as a fashion designer?


AJ. What matters to me most is that people are excited about my designs. I don’t care if people love it or hate it as long as they have a reaction.




FB. Has your design esthetic changed during the show?


I certainly found a new side to my aesthetic, I wouldn’t say that it has changed, but it is certainly more well rounded than before. The clothes I am making now show much more variety than before. How has Project Runway affected your life?


Project Runway has changed everything. Life now is full of opportunities that only a few months ago would have been impossible.




FB. How many meetings did you have with the producers of the program before you got picked?


AJ. Two actual meetings




FB. Did you make any friends on the show?


Yes, I am very good friends with Casanova, Sarah, Micheal D. and April.




FB. Is there a designer on the show that their work appeals to you?


AJ. I love Casanova’s designs because they are so over the top. I also think that April and Mondo have really fun and exciting work.




FB. Who do you think is you biggest competitor on the show?


AJ. Mondo was definitely competition for me because we both draw inspiration from similar places., and Valerie was someone who made it clear right off the bat that she really wanted to win.




FB. How are your friends reacting to your appearance on the show?


AJ. All of them have been incredibly proud and supportive




FB. Have you had any other type of contact (like socializing) with the judges?


AJ. The only contact I have had was what you see on the show.




FB. After the show what are your plan with your business?


AJ. I am looking to launch an online store, and of course looking to collaborate with other designers.






FB. What would you do if you win?


I’m out now, so I guess I’ll just have to dream about what I would have done. J




FB Do you Google your name?


AJ. Of course, it’s hard to resist






Any last words?


I’m just simply excited and humbled that people enjoy my work. It gives me energy to keep designing.

No comments: